January 24, 2012

A Fierce Green Fire

Last night Tommy and I went up to Park City to watch the world premier of A Fierce Green Fire at the Sundance Film Festival.



It was sooooooo fracking good! (geology joke there HA).

The movie was marketed as a documentary about the environmental movement. It spanned five "acts", each with a different theme like conservation, pollution, etc. It was kind of long, but it truly was amazing. I am an environmentalist. I'd love to save the planet, but since I didn't study it in school, I really don't know much about the history of the "movement". This film not only taught me a lot, but since it focused on individuals standing up for the planet, it really got me excited to do my part. The people this film focused on are heroes.

I'm not going to go into too much more of a review because I'm just not that good at that kind of thing, but you can watch all five acts yourself and learn more about the movie on this website.

What I will talk about a little bit are the reactions I had to it.

As I stated earlier, this documentary really inspired me to make a change. Now, I don't have the time (or the focus, let's get serious people) to start my own campaign, but one of the most important lessons this film taught me was that it takes an individual to start a movement, but it takes many people to make it happen.

The first thing I want to do is find one or two organizations that are crusading for the environment and help them out. There are a few I have in mind--350.org, the Sierra Club, Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance--but I still want to research them, and others and really commit. Commit time, money and service. And since I put it on the internet, it must be true!

The second thing I want to do is live more green-ly. I am going to try to make more of an effort to walk to school and the grocery store, and buy local when possible, and buy American when there are no local options. The walking, I'm sure, makes sense to most of you, but the reason why I want to buy local is for a few reasons. The first is because the closer the source, the less energy it takes to get to the store. The second is because America has environmental regulations in place--though admittedly not great--while places like China definitely do not. Therefore, the goods I buy from this country were probably made with more environmentally friendly materials and practices. The third is less environmental, but still a good reason: I just want to help our economy and my fellow Utahards/Americans.

The third thing I want to do can't really happen until I have a real job that pays real money, but I want to have a garden and use renewable energy when we finally get a home.

Since this is a blog, and I resolved to write more, I'll try to keep yall updated on how this green project goes.

(and while we're talking about that sort of stuff, I'll try to write more about the food I'm cooking--I cooked so much last week!--and the books I'm reading, and the workouts I'm doing. Really, I'll try....)

No comments:

Post a Comment