November 28, 2011

The art of procrastinating

The above title is nothing new to this blog. I clearly write when I'm bored at my computer, which is invariably when I'm at school avoiding work. Which is exactly what is happening right now.

I'm not entirely sure how I became so good at this procrastinating stuff. In the past I have blamed my lack of activity and things to do. I know that seems crazy, but hear me out. I found that when I was taking four classes, plus four labs, plus working 20 hours a week, plus researching a capstone paper I had no time to procrastinate. I had to get things done. And in order to get things done on time, I needed to start right away. The past year and half has been a completely different story. I haven't taken more than three classes (only one with a lab). I only spend MAX 10 hours a week on my TAing duties. And the "thing" that needs to get done? That pesky thesis. AND IT'S NOT DUE FOR ANOTHER 6 MONTHS!!!! (ok, now that I think about it, it's due in maybe five months...YIKES). So I just get into this habit of reading shit online that at first seems useful and then all of a sudden two hours later I look up (yes, I get so slouched down reading drivel online that I actually have to look up to see the clock in the top right hand corner of my computer) and realize I have yet to do anything with my day! WTF??!?!?!?!?!? It's crazy! If I even spent as much as half of my day working on my thesis as I do on the interwebz I would probably be halfway done by now!

But the point is...how did I sink so low? How have I become this person who could multi-task and time manage and get stuff done like a CHAMP to doing practically nothing day in and day out? Is it really a lack of deadline? Is it a lack of motivation? Is it a lack of other shit in my life? It's hard to say. I've made deadlines for myself, I've made cute crafty to-do lists, and computerized to-do lists, I have added activities to my day (and life) like going to the gym, cooking dinner, wedding planning, going to church (more on that later), I have gotten a second moniter, I have created little rewards for myself for finishing projects, I have forced myself to stay at school until six instead of five AND NOTHING WORKS. It's 1:33 pm right now, I have been here since 9 am and all I've done is opened the document.

Yeah yeah yeah I could just make myself do it right? RIGHT?!?!?! Yeah I wish. I just can't. Me, the person who was able to stop smoking COLD EFFING TURKEY can't write a gd thesis. I just don't get it. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?

But after this post I have promised myself that I will write until 6 if not later. So we'll see how that goes.

Also, book review coming soon (just finished a doozy--well two doozies) and a craft review. Hahahahahah look at me, blogging. Psh.

No comments:

Post a Comment